Securement 102: Securing Difficult Mobility Devices for Transit and Paratransit
Who Should Take This Course?
This course is designed for transportation directors, supervisors, and trainers who can help implement the troubleshooting techniques and best practice recommendations within their agencies. Experienced drivers will also benefit from the course.
Over 30 years after ADA changed the transportation landscape throughout North America by guaranteeing passengers with disabilities access to public transportation, providers still consistently struggle to safely secure many mobility devices. While wheelchair securement equipment has improved dramatically during this timeframe, even today there are hundreds of wheelchairs on the market which are not designed to be transported.
This advanced course addresses this challenge by building on the principles covered in Securement 101: Basic Wheelchair Securement Training, to provide transportation directors, supervisors, and trainers with a wide range of strategies, tips, and recommendations to help their agencies effectively secure and safely transport the most difficult mobility devices.
The first four lessons of the course explore the factors that have contributed to this dynamic, explain what it really means for a mobility device to be effectively secured during transportation, and provide troubleshooting practices for complex powered mobility devices, scooters, and occupant securement use. The final lesson of course offers a series of best practice recommendations, based on our more than 35 years of industry experience, that can help transportation providers greatly reduce the risk these devices pose to the safety of their passengers and the liability of the agency.
The following topics are covered:
- Introduction: Understanding the Problem of Difficult to Secure Mobility Devices
- Lesson 1: Pre-Securement Assessment
- Lesson 2: Troubleshooting Tips for Mobility Device Securement
- Lesson 3: Scooters
- Lesson 4: Troubleshooting Tips for Occupant Securement
- Lesson 5: Best Practice Recommendations
Each lesson concludes with a quiz, highlighting levels of competence. Once the course has been successfully completed, students will receive a certificate of completion that is valid for two years.
After completing Securement 102, students will be able to:
- Understand the regulations and standards that govern the safe transport of mobility devices, as well as the industry factors that have led to so many mobility devices being difficult to secure and transport.
- Conduct a pre-securement assessment to determine if a particular device should be transported and explore options to mitigate the risk (for both the agency and passenger) associated with transporting the device.
- Understand and apply six problem-solving strategies to more effectively secure difficult mobility devices.
- Understand and apply six problem-solving strategies to use the occupant securement more effectively in situations where the passenger’s disability or the design of the device inhibit proper belt use.
- Effectively secure and safely transport three and four-wheel scooters.
- Develop policy recommendations and best practices that will increase their agency’s competency at handling difficult to secure mobility devices, reduce their liability, and increase passenger safety.
Time to Complete
Total = Approximately 2 hours 30 minutes to complete.
The Course does not have to be completed in one session. Our learning management system saves your progress, allowing you to return to the course and pick up where you left off.
Approximate time needed to complete each lesson:
Introduction = 15 minutes
Lesson 1 = 30 minutes
Lesson 2 = 25 minutes
Lesson 3 = 25 minutes
Lesson 4 = 25 minutes
Lesson 5 = 25 minutes
This is an advanced course that requires an understanding of basic mobility device securement as taught by Q’STRAINT / SURE-LOK. To make the most of this course we strongly recommend that students complete the Securement 101 Course OR have attended on of our Monthly Training Webinars.
Recommended Supplemental Materials
- Pass test with a score of 75% or better
- Students receive a certificate of completion (no expiration date)
$49.99 per student
Order your seats in bulk to receive instant discount pricing in your cart:
- 20-50 students = $24.99 per student (50% discount)
- 50+ students = Contact us for special pricing options.
Download Course Outline
Download the course outline.
While tablets, smartphones and other mobile devices may allow for the completion of course, they are not guaranteed to work. Additionally, some course interactions are not optimized for mobile devices.
Please ensure you have a Windows or Mac based computer available to complete our training courses in the event your selected mobile device does not meet the needs of the course.
Comments are closed.