Securement 103: Securing Difficult Mobility Devices for School Bus
Who Should Take This Course?
This course is designed for transportation directors, supervisors, and trainers who can help implement the troubleshooting techniques and best practice recommendations within their agencies. Experienced drivers will also benefit from the course.
IDEA was passed in 1975 making schools national leaders in providing equal services for the disabled community. However, today, over 40 years after its passage, school transportation providers are still consistently struggling to safely transport some students with disabilities and to secure the most difficult mobility devices. While wheelchair securement equipment has improved dramatically during this timeframe, even today there are hundreds of wheelchairs on the market which are not designed to be transported.
This advanced course addresses this challenge by building on the principles covered in Securement 101: Basic Wheelchair Securement Training, to provide transportation directors, supervisors, and trainers with a wide range of strategies, tips, and recommendations to help their agencies effectively secure and safely transport students with the most difficult mobility devices.
The first three lessons of the course explore the factors that have contributed to this dynamic, explain what it really means for a mobility device to be effectively secured during transportation, and provide troubleshooting practices for complex powered mobility devices, scooters, and occupant securement use. The final lesson of course offers a series of best practice recommendations, based on our more than 35 years of industry experience, that can help school districts and transportation providers greatly reduce the risk these devices pose to the safety of their students and the liability of the district.
The following topics are covered:
- Introduction: Understanding the Problem of Difficult to Secure Mobility Devices
- Lesson 1: Pre-Securement Assessment
- Lesson 2: Troubleshooting Tips for Mobility Device Securement
- Lesson 3: Troubleshooting Tips for Occupant Securement
- Lesson 4: Best Practice Recommendations
Each lesson concludes with a quiz, highlighting levels of competence. Once the course has been successfully completed, students will receive a certificate of completion that is valid for two years.
After completing Securement 103, students will be able to:
- Understand the regulations and standards that govern the safe transport of students with mobility devices, as well as the industry factors that have led to so many mobility devices being difficult to secure and transport.
- Conduct a pre-securement assessment to determine if a particular device should be transported and explore options to mitigate the risk (for both the agency and student) associated with transporting the device.
- Understand and apply six problem-solving strategies to more effectively secure difficult mobility devices.
- Understand and apply six problem-solving strategies to use the occupant securement more effectively in situations where the student’s disability or the design of the device inhibit proper belt use.
- Effectively secure and safely transport three and four-wheel scooters.
- Develop policy recommendations and best practices that will increase their district’s competency at handling difficult to secure mobility devices, reduce their liability, and increase student safety.
Time to Complete
Total = Approximately 2 hours and 15 minutes to complete.
NOTE: The Course does not have to be completed in one session. Our learning management system saves your progress, allowing you to return to the course and pick up where you left off.
Approximate time needed to complete each lesson:
Introduction = 15 minutes
Lesson 1 = 30 minutes
Lesson 2 = 40 minutes
Lesson 3 = 25 minutes
Lesson 4 = 25 minutes
This is an advanced course that requires an understanding of basic mobility device securement as taught by Q’STRAINT / SURE-LOK. To make the most of this course we strongly recommend that students complete Securement 101 OR have attended on of our Monthly Training Webinars.
Recommended Supplemental Materials
Pass all lessons with a score of 75% or better.
$49.99 per student
Order your seats in bulk to receive instant discount pricing in your cart:
20-50 students = $24.99 per student (50% discount)
50+ students = Contact us for special pricing options
Download Course Outline
Download the course outline.
While tablets, smartphones and other mobile devices may allow for the completion of course, they are not guaranteed to work. Additionally, some course interactions are not optimized for mobile devices.
Please ensure you have a Windows or Mac based computer available to complete our training courses in the event your selected mobile device does not meet the needs of the course.
Introductory Bulk Discounts Available
Comments are closed.